[Gpdd] [Behavior] Cocoa Puff Escaped!

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jan 2 17:39:19 EST 2010

Hi. Yesterday, while I was cleaning his cage, Cocoa Puff escaped from his holding pen.
I had him sitting on the sofa in a plastic banker's box size container on a very thin towel.
I usually give him a block of hay to chew on, but I was in a hurry and just had him in there by himself with his roommate Puffy in an identical set up next to him.
The box was 11 inches tall.
Usually, I'd have him in there with Puffy, but because I'd just cleaned Chakalaka and Donovan's cage, I had the two boxes set up.
While Cakalaka and Donovan have actually decided that they can coexist in their normal C&C cage, I don't want to push it by putting them in a tiny holding cell together.

As an aside to the story, Chakalaka and Donovan's successful introduction was my Christmas miracle this year.  Because Donovan and Chakalaka both have such strong personalities, I never thought that this would work, but they seem to like each other...they don't love each other and they sure did put on quite the show when we first tried to introduce them, but they've established boundaries and they seem to be getting along really well...as long as the food keeps flowing!

Anyway, back to the Cocoa Puff story, I had my back to them while I was cleaning the cage.
I heard Cocoa Puff running in circles, which he does sometimes...he's my little head tilt piggie with the balance problems.
Then, I heard the remote control fall on the floor.
I thought that all of his running around in the little box had shaken it off the sofa.
Thank God I didn't step backwards!

When I was done putting the newspaper on the bottom of his cage, I turned around to see how he and Puffy were doing, and they were both gone.
Cocoa Puff's holding pen was completely empty, but I saw movement under the towel in Puffy's pen.
I picked up the towel, and there was Puffy, but no Cocoa Puff.

I looked around the room and didn't see him.
When I clean cages, I wheel in a 20 gallon container of shreds that was sitting next to the sofa.
I picked it up and he wasn't under it. In a panic that he had somehow gotten into it, I dumped it out, but fortunately, he wasn't in it.

I turned around to see if he was in the hallway outside the room, and when I turned back, he was sitting on the floor chewing on the remote control that he had knocked off the arm of the sofa. I don't know where he was hiding.

He's the last little piggie that I would expect this from. I should have never let him watch G Force!  I don't know what got into him. I understand the Black Pearl was in Florida yesterday, perhaps he wanted to hitch a ride and join the other piggies.  We will never know!

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Chakalaka, Puffy, Cocoa Puff the Magnificent Escape Artist, Twinkie, Ghirardelli and Dillon Forever in our Hearts