[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Help with Guinnea Pig not eating or drinking

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Jan 3 18:06:43 EST 2010

Beki,

So sorry to read about Faith. You do not have to buy anything like Critical
Care from the vet. I always use a mash of either chinchilla grass pellets
from the pet store or the little stars that make up Supreme Science
Selective Guinea Pig. Using whatever pellets you have to hand, soften them
in hot water ( it takes a few minues ) and mix with an equal amount of made
up Smash or Readybrek ( using hot water, not milk ), either of which you
might have in your larder. Many piggies like Readybrek alone. At the moment
it is anything to keep up her strength.

You can mash up some banana which goes easily up a 1ml syringe

If you are to be successful you need to get very many more syringefuls into
Faith. Use a 1ml. syringe with the end cut off.

Over the counter pain med for piggies easily available at the chemist or
maybe supermarket depending where you live is Children's Liquid Nurofen. It
is orange flavoured and comes in a bottle in an orange box. Give 4ml. twice
a day orally.

I am ccing this to you in the hope of getting Faith through the night. I
hope that this is OK by you.

Also from the supermarket you can buy Dioralyte for rehydration. There are
six sachets to a box. Try the blackcurrant flavour. Mix 1/4 of a sachet in
an eggcup of water and syringe a little at a time during the day.

If you can get her up and running try Acidophilus to put the good bugs back.
You can buy it in a bottle from Holland and Barrett if you have one in your
town but probably any health food shop will stock this. It comes in
capsules. Open a capsule, tip one third of the contents into a small
container and mix with around 1ml.water. Syringe it in. Close the capsule,
wrap it in a bit of kitchen roll, return it to the bottle and put it in the
fridge. That capsule then contains the powder for the next two days.

I wish that I could attach a Rimadyl tablet along with this email but I am
sending my very best wishes for you and Faith.

Penny and the Piggyfriends urgently.