[Gpdd] [Behavior] Cocoa Puff Escaped!

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Jan 4 07:29:04 EST 2010

What an adventure for Cocoa Puff and a fright for you. With such abilities
Agent F should recruit him as one of his spies.

I am pleased that your introduction went so well. Food conquers all.

It always amazes me how such rotund little creatures with such short, little
legs manage to scale tall buildings at a single bound. Years ago, a friend
with piggies had to take in her granddaughter at very short notice. The
granddaughter brought her boar piggy with her. My friend had lots of
piggies, who lived in a similar setup to my Piggyfriends but, whereas my
pens are on the floor, hers were on shelves around the room.

She partitioned off the end of one of her pens with a 15 inch high wire
panel. In the morning her granddaughter's piggy was not in his hastily
adapted pen but was in the next door one with one of my friend's sows. A
higher and larger pen was constructed immediately but the damage had been
done.

Luckily this sow had previously had a litter so was not endangered by a
further unplanned pregnancy and she produced five babes, who all became
Piggyfriends.

Not all piggies are so adventurous. When my herd have floor time most of
them are flummoxed by a two inch high step that leads from one room to
another and they stand there perplexed. Others leap up and down the step as
though it is a great game. Some like to jump up onto the wine boxes that are
their sleeping quarters whilst others look on in amazement as though to say
" How did you get up there? " and will never try for themselves. I sometimes
wonder if this is a learned behaviour.

Gulliver always slept on top of his box and when Hope arrived and moved into
an adjoining pen, she copied him. When Peony moved in with her, she too
copied it but the others in the pen remain firmly on the floor.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.