[Gpdd] Health: Guinea pig with asthma

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jan 6 19:51:39 EST 2010

Hi. I met another pig person today, and she has a guinea pig who suffers from asthma symptoms on occassion.  I gave her the address for the digest, so hopefully, she will be contacting us with more details, but just in case she doesn't, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with wheezing piggies. She said that her piggie has been to the vet several times and has been on antibiotics. The vet said that she thought that the problem was something in the piggies nose and that she wanted to anesthetize the piggie and take a closer look.  My new friend was a little reluctant to go that route.  I asked if the problem could be cardiac, but she said that the vet didn't say anything about that.  It seems to me that a nose problem would be more snorting than wheezing, but then I'm not a vet.  I'm just an asthmatic who used to have a deviated septum.

She has tried a variety of different litters to see if that helps, but nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can pass on. Thanks for your help!

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Chakalaka, Puffy, Cocoa Puff, Twinkie, and Ghirardelli with Dillon Forever in our Hearts.