[Gpdd] Health: Guinea pig with asthma

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Thu Jan 7 12:16:39 EST 2010

I have 2 categories of suggestions. First you dont give the age of the
piggie, but there could be congestive heart failure, the doc can check for
that plus there could be physical obstruction as in some hay stuck. or even
a deviated septum. Also there can be tumors occurring in the chest area,
heart, lung, or nasal area, For these find out about ultra sound even if she
has to take the piggy to a nearby veterinary teaching university. A very
skilled vet can do ultra sound or x-ray without sedation or anesthesia which
sounds doubly important for a pig with possible breathing problems or
obstructions

The second set of suggestions are in the area of day to day care. First all
the hay should be taken outside and shaken fluffed and reboxed or bagged to
get all the dust out. Bags need many holes punched, check all hay for black
spots or musty smell and dump it immediately if it's suspicious. Remember
too, it should be packed in something with plenty of ventilation. While this
is going on take the pig out doors or to a closed off room and completely
clean the room he's in, piggie rooms tend to be super dusty. Use damp cloths
or antibacterial wipes on TV and electronics as the dust from those is toxic
and discard washing your hands immed. I use very lightly damp dishtowels for
dusting as they remove the dust from the room. You must unplug electric
appliances, avoid getting any dampness inside the vents or electronics.
Start from the ceiling and work down, floor last. If you can check for the
emissions rating on your vacuum cleaner, Consumers Reports keeps this info,
if it has high emissions try to replace it with a better one or at least
re-dust when you are done with the initial dusting and vacuum. Move the
furniture and appliances, its the time of year when this sort of thing is
often done anyway. Bedding, you said this wasn't an issue but is may be as
it's wood based, toss that, and try the newspaper types like Carefresh,
which by the way, makes a more expensive all white anti-allergenic bedding.
Also remove all sources of scent from the room, your whole house if
possible. All these air fresheners, aroma therapy, essential oils, Glade
heated things, room deodorizers, candles, esp those with scented wax or lead
in the wicks (most) and spray air cleaners are them selves causes of indoor
air pollution. Get a Hepa filter like Honeywell Envirocare, and run it 24
hrs a day, it cuts down on the dust drastically and makes life easier and
healthier for all resident. When I had a central air conditioner I installed
an electronic whole house filter just above the intake in the appliance
proper. (a pro is needed and about $500). Avoid the "Ionic Breeze Type" as
they dont have a fan to push large volumes of air across the blades,
therefore they are much less effective. Avoid all types of the type called
electrostatic as they precipitate out solids form the air and deposit them
on the closest surface, usually yours or the pig's lungs. The cost of
filters for the Hepa type can be cut way down by spending 5 minutes a month
to vacuum the outmost filter when you open up the fan. Super fast and
simple. I have had some of these electrostatic for over 5 years, one for 10,
and haven't needed to replace the hepa filter itself. vent to the outdoors
for a few minutes each day if the air quality where you live is good and you
dont live on a high traffic street. These suggestions will improve the
health of everyone in home as well as the pigs.

Also take a look at the piggies housing, the ammonia from urine can cause
any pig respiratory prob, so if the pig is in an enclosure with high walls
like a Rubbermaid tub remember that those walls hold in the fumes from their
urine. Get a chloroplast cage or even cheaper just arrange the grids on the
floor over a plastic tablecloth well masked with newspaper. This works for
non chewing pigs, not young divas like Miss Puff.  If the cage is large
enough for the number of piggies in it they will have sorted out a place for
their toilet and that should be stacked with papers that can be changed out
easily everyday. Get a cage with side no more than approx 6 inches and mesh,
wire, or grids, above that. Its easy to overcrowd piggies without realizing
which causes respiratory distress in the more susceptible.  Dont forget
piggies need to get out for floor times ever couple days at the most where
they can run and build up their lung power. Forgive me for giving wordy, I
wanted to cover as many bases as possible not knowing the pigs living
situation. Good luck and good health,  Sandy and Sammy