[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT STOLEN PIGGY IN HAWAII !

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 8 12:41:34 EST 2010

Dear Peter

I was very saddened and shocked by your email. I am very sorry this has
happened.

If it were me, I would certainly report the matter to the police straight
away so that you have an official record of the thief. The police would also
have the authority to officially intervene on your behalf. Also give the
police the telephone number of where the lady said Yukki is now, and they
will be able to trace this number to an address (presuming you have been
given the genuine telephone number). They would then be able to give these
people a visit. Depending on what the police say, you may have to make this
a legal issue and seek the services of a solicitor.

The police will almost certainly require proof that Yuuki belonged to your
mother-in-law, so any evidence she has that the piggy is hers -- such as
photos of her with Yukki with clear evidence that Yukki lived in your
mother-in-laws home (such as photos that show her and Yuuki together with
certain furniture from her house behind them in the photo) -- will all help
back up your case that Yukki has been taken from your mother-in-law and that
Yuuki belongs to her. Don't give original pictures to the police, just
copies, otherwise your evidence/proof is gone.

I would also do lots of print outs of  clear posters of Yuuki, with a short
message added about her being missing attached to the poster. Be sure to
include a contact telephone number on there too, and take it to all the
nearby vets and local animal welfare centres and ask them to put the noice
up. Someone may know just where Yuuki is. If local newsagents and grocers
will allow you to put the poster up, then do the same there. The advantage
of putting posters up in a vets is that vets are not supposed to treat an
animal that is not owned by the person who has brought the animal in (that's
the law in the UK, anyway). So if the vets have seen those posters of Yuuki
in their surgery and then Yuuki is perhaps taken in by the new 'owners', the
vets may then take possession of Yuuki -- it all depends what the laws are
regarding this in Honolulu. You could always call a vets surgery to ask.

Whatever you do, don't take matters into your own hands and don't go to
these people direct to try to get Yuuki back (should you find out where she
is). Please go via the police route, as the 'owners' could say things
against you that then spoil your chances of getting her back. There's a
saying, 'possession is nine tenths of the law'.'

If there are missing pets lists kept by animal welfare shelters and also
vets etc. in Honolulu and perhaps the neghbouring area beyond, I would
suggest you log Yuuki's details with them also.

One final thought is that If Yuuki is micro-chipped, this should be
something else you tell the police, as this would prove ownership.

I am so sorry to read of this sad story and hope you and your mother-in-law
get Yuuki back very soon. Please let us know on the Digest how things go.

Kind regards

Carole