[Gpdd] Health: Kinjaroo, stones and drinking water

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Jan 11 16:32:00 EST 2010

Kinjaroo’s stone surgery went very well. Kinjaroo is 5.5 years old. She
had a large stone removed from her urethra 13 months ago. On Christmas
Day she weeked in pain when I picked her up. She had pain at the exit to
her urethra. I took her to Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM for an x-ray on the 26
of December 2009. The x-ray showed urinary calculi that looked like
gravel in the lower segment of her urethra. She was scheduled for
surgery on the 29 of December. However, since I was sick and assist at
all cavy surgeries, the surgery did not take place until the 6 of
January 2010. While awaiting surgery I gave her orally 10 mg of Rimadyl
twice a day for pain and 0.5 ml of pediatric Bactrim also twice a day.
In addition, she was given 0.2 ml of hydrangea root tincture mixed with
0.3 ml of liquid vitamin C (50 mg) once a day. The hydrangea is
beneficial in healing the urinary tract. I had done urinalysis at home
using Siemens Multistix reagent strips for urinalysis. She tested
positive for blood, which can be an indication that the crystal
structure of the calculi was damaging the urethral tissue. She tested
negative for leucocytes and nitrite indicating that she did not have an
infection. The pediatric Bactrim was administered prophylactically
because she was going to have surgery. On the day of surgery my job was
to do the anesthesia. Pre-anesthetic was 10 mg Rimadyl orally 2 hours
prior to surgery. I took away her food 1 hour prior to surgery but not
water. I gave her 1 ml of honey and 5 ml of diluted juice. The purpose
of the honey is that cavies store very little glycogen in their liver so
the honey acts as an energy source. The diluted juice was to wash the
honey down and any food in her mouth. Bland ophthalmic ointment was
placed in her eyes. Induction was with 3.0% Isoflurane using a large
nose cone in which her entire head and front legs fit into. The surgical
table was heated to 38.0 C. It took 7 minutes for induction. I then
removed her from the nose cone, opened her mouth and aspirated any fluid
using a 1 ml syringe. She was then placed on her back on a microwaveable
heating pad, which had been heated for 1 minute and then was put on a
thoracic positioner. I placed a small nose cone over her nose and mouth.
It was held in place with Velcro straps. Isoflurane was decreased to
2.5%. She was shaved and her skin was cleaned. Dr. Bonsack used a small
stainless steel spoon to scoop out the urinary calculi. Then he injected
0.3 ml of 2.0% Lidocaine along the midline skin above the urethra.
Isoflurane was reduced to 2.0%. Using small scissors a 1.0 cm incision
was made in the distal urethra and overlying skin. The urethra and
bladder were flushed with warm lactated Ringer’s solution followed by
sterile water. While the urethra and skin were still open the nose cone
was removed and she was taken to the next room while still on the
heating pad and an x-ray was taken to make sure that all of the calculi
had been removed. It took less than a minute to take the x-ray. I
replaced the nose cone and the Isoflurane was reduced to 1.5%. The x-ray
showed that all the calculi were removed. Her outer skin was sutured
with Vicryl 3.0. She has 5 sutures. Immediately after she was sutured
the Isoflurane was turned off, the system was purged with oxygen and she
breathed oxygen for approximately 5 minutes. I then took off the nose
cone and put a dab a Vicks on her nose. She woke up immediately. The
entire surgery took 50 minutes. She was placed in a large box that
contained Vet bedding along with her heating pad and she began to
immediately eat romaine lettuce. She has been eating, drinking,
defecating and urinating normally since 15 minutes after the surgery.
She is still the loudest weeker of all of our cavies. Today is 5 days
post surgery. It is her last day on Rimadyl and pediatric Bactrim and
the hydrangea. I am now giving all of my cavies spring water, which
contains 0.03 mg/L of calcium and no fluoride or chlorine. In a couple
of weeks I will do urine sedimentation tests to see if it was our hard
filtered water that caused the stones. Or it may be due to the fact that
Kinjaroo and Trix another of our cavies that had a large stone removed
in April 2009 tend to excrete higher than normal amounts of calcium into
their urine. If that is the case, Vedra Stanley-Spatcher has advised me
to put any cavy that is prone to stone formation on Rowatinex, one gel
cap/day plus 20 minutes/day on a Niagara Cyclo massage pad. I already
have the Rowatinex that I bought online from www.smallflower.com. I also
bought a used Niagara Cyclo massage pad from Ebay.  You can purchase a
used one from http://www.niagaracyclomassage.com/. The Rowatinex and the
massage therapy must be continued for the life of the cavy.

I want to thank everyone that gave me information on the right type of
spring water to give our piggys. I have always given them filtered water
that removes the fluoride and chlorine. Vedra has told me that it is
calcium in hard water that is the major contributor to urinary calculi.
In fact all of the scientific papers that I have read over the past 2
weeks regarding the composition of urinary calculi in cavies has shown
that 80% of them are calcium carbonate. I must admit that I feel like a
very stupid scientist who did not put my cavies on low calcium spring
water after the first stone surgery. I have always thought that fluoride
had more to do with stone formation than calcium since it is totally
natural for cavies to excrete excess calcium, phosphate and oxalate into
their urine. I have had over 100 rescued cavies at Piggyville. Only Trix
and Kinjaroo ever developed stones. In the weeks to come I will  keep
you posted on how they are doing.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.