[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Kinjaroo, stones and drinking water

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Tue Jan 12 14:33:46 EST 2010

Dear Sandy and the GPDD Family,
You asked if the urinary calculi would have flushed out normally or was
it too painful that it had to be removed surgically. I tried doing that
by first reducing the inflammation in the urethra with Rimadyl and
hydrangea and syringing her lots of unsweetened cranberry juice diluted
with distilled water. It did not work and actually caused her more pain.
I think this was due to the fact that she had previous stone surgery so
that there may be adhesion in the urethra therefore it is not a normal
smooth tube. Also the calculi looked like prickly gravel from the
crystal structure of the calcium carbonate and they were in clumps.

I do not know if the Niagara Cyclo massage pad can be used for gut
stasis. I will ask Vedra. I am currently retaking all of her British
Association of Rodentology courses since she has updated them so I am in
contact with her on a weekly basis. By the way BAR sells a care sheet
covering the topic of gastric bloat or torsion. I have just ordered all
11 of the BAR care sheets and the 4 diagnostic charts at
http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/Products.html
To order; email Vedra Stanley-Spatcher at stanislinski at aol.com. This is
also her PayPal address.  Just tell her what you want to buy, give your
address and ask her what the total will be including postage. She will
email you with the total cost in British pounds. As soon as she receives
your PayPal payment she will post the items. She does use the Cyclo
massage pad for cavies that have mobility problems and littering
problems involving inertia. The Niagara Cyclo massage pads are sold
worldwide. A new one cost $700. A used one can be bought for $300 from
http://www.niagaracyclomassage.com/. Vedra told me that if I give one
gel cap of Rowatinex/day and put Kingaroo on the Cyclo massage pad for
20 minutes/day that there is no way that a stone could form. I must
stress that it is very important that a Niagara Cyclo massage pad is used.

The heating pad I use for surgery is a TheraBeads microwaveable moist
heat 9 inch by 12 inch pad. I bought mine on Amazon.com. I do not use an
electric heating pad because even at the lowest temperature it can be
too hot. Cavies become hypothermic under anesthesia so it is very
important to keep them warm. This type of pad stays warm for 2 hours.
The pad is very helpful in keeping a recovering cavy warm. I think it is
a good addition to everyone’s cavy first aid kit.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.