[Gpdd] [CARE] Advice on caring for a long haired male

rj1571 rj1571 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 13 15:34:27 EST 2010

Hi

You may remember me posting saying I wouldn't have any more guinea pigs after my beautiful Faith died at Christmas. Trouble is, I keep finding myself going to the hutch to talk to them and finding it empty. I have even started talking to my car/the heater/my coffee machine. Is there such a thing as empty hutch syndrome?

Anyway, I have been looking (just looking) at local rescue guinea pigs online and was very interested in a pretty girl called Maddie. She has not had the best start in life and consequently will not live with any females so I would be looking to take on a neutured boar as well. The only boars they have are all long haired.

I have only had female guinea pigs in the past, and non of them long haired. I wanted to do some research and wondered if any of you could let me know or point me to the right websites that tells me what extra care/needs a boar has as opposed to the ladies I have looked after and what extra care/needs a long haired guinea pig has over my previous short haired girls. Are boars prone to any ailments the girls aren't etc? I was reading about checking them for anal impaction and I am not sure I can do that as I am very weak stomached. Do you have to check them all the time or only when they get to a certain age etc?

You can see Maddie at http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/moreinfo.asp?GpigID=4324 and the likely candidate for her husband, Woody at http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/moreinfo.asp?GpigID=4855

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Beki