[Gpdd] [HEALTH] (My piggies and vets)

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Jan 14 13:26:12 EST 2010

Dear Ellen,

I do not recall why Cheyenie has been on Baytril. If it is because she
has a respiratory infection it is very important that you get her to the
vet ASAP for a one off dose of Lasix 10 mg. Most Cavy respiratory
infections involve fluid in the lungs. This fluid will also put her off
eating and drinking. Lasix should always be given on the first day of
treatment for respiratory infections. If she does not get the lasix and
she has fluid in her lungs the antibiotics will not be able to save her.
That is why it is so important that she get the Lasix as soon as
possible. The dose of Baytril should be 10 mg twice a day for 7-10 days.
Also the anti-inflammatory drug Dexamethasone at a dose of 0.5-2.0 mg/kg
subcutaneously may help her breath easier. Vicks wiped across her nose
3-4 times a day is also helpful. Since she has gone off food and water
she should be given subcutaneous fluids such as body temperature
lactated Ringer's solution 10 ml at one site for a total of 40 ml per
day. This is very important to prevent her from dying from dehydration
or kidney failure. If fluid returns to her lungs within 12 hours of
giving her the lasix she can be given another dose of lasix but at the
reduced rate of 5 mg. If fluid in the lungs continues to return you may
be facing a case of congestive heart failure. In that case Enalapril
(Vasotec) starting at a dose of 1.0 mg orally/day is used. Your vet
would need to establish the minimum effective dose over time.
I am not a vet. I am just giving you information that I have learned
from The British Association of Rodentologists and from operating a
private cavy rescue home for 26 years.
I wish you and Cheyenie the best.
Sincerely,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.