[Gpdd] [HEALTH] (My piggies and vets)

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sat Jan 16 13:01:38 EST 2010

Dear Sandy,
Thank you for your suggestions regarding my writing style. Expressing
myself in writing is very difficult for me. You are an accomplished and
talented writer. I welcome your suggestions and anyone’s constructive
criticism. We all come from different backgrounds and life experiences.
I stated that Most Cavy respiratory infections involve fluid in the
lungs. In my mind it is inconceivable that a vet would not first check
if there is fluid in the lungs prior to giving Lasix. The same holds
true regarding hydration levels. However due to the metabolic and fluid
requirements of cavies and the their tendency to quickly develop ketosis
if they go without adequate food and water for as little as 24 hours, 10
ml of lactated Ringer’s solution can make the difference between life
and death as can one dose of Lasix. In my experience many cavy owners
and most vets are not aware of this. In no way am I advocating that a
cavy owner demand any drug or medical intervention that is not based on
sound medical reasoning. On the other hand I have seen multiple cases of
vets refusing to give Lasix to a cavy that has fluid in the lungs. The
excuse most often given is that they have never given Lasix to a cavy
before. Regardless of the scientific evidence that I present to them
they still refuse to give the Lasix though they regularly use the same
drug in cats and dogs. In all of these cases the cavy was only given
antibiotics. All of the animals either died from the respiratory
infection or developed congestive heart failure and subsequently died
from that complication.  At the veterinary practice that I volunteer at,
I train cavy owners how to spot the signs that their cavy needs Lasix.
We also recommend that every cavy owner have 2-10 mg tablets of Lasix in
their cavy first aid kit. In the event that the vet office in closed and
an emergency vet refuses to give Lasix then our clients have it for that
emergency.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.