[Gpdd] <HEALTH> Hair Falling Out

Sam Higgins joplinspig at rcn.com
Mon Jan 18 19:27:42 EST 2010

Howdy!

I've been reading posts here for some while now, but have never had a reason to chime in; your camaraderie and your knowledge are unbeatable, so I've really never had anything to add, except wanting to join in and say hello sometime.

Anyhow, I wonder if you can help me now.  I'm not really concerned, but my older pig, Scooter, seems to be thinning out, his hair, not is weight.

No, don't toss out the mange card, we've been down that road years ago.  In fact, I got little Scooter from a shelter when he was only six weeks old, and he infected my herd.  That was in 2004.  Scooter is now five y/o.

Scooter is an Abby, and he has always has silky, soft fur, and his rosettes have always given way to large areas of exposed skin.  I'm noticing lately, though, that the "baldness seems to be getting wider, and I'm noting hair in the bedding, his food dish, his house, etc.

In every other way, he looks normal, and is acting normal.

Is this age?  I've never seen this before, and I've had five pigs before him.

Thanks for your help!

Sam