[Gpdd] [MISC] Cavy vets

Sarah Erickson sarah19e at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 17:58:00 EST 2010

Well, I highly recommend my own vet located in Nokomis, FL.  It's a little bit of a hike from Tampa, and I'm sure there are some good vets in Tampa, but I just wanted to suggest it!
Dr. Landess is wonderful with guinea pigs, although I've never had to deal with molar malocclusion, so I don't know what his experience is with that.

My first experience with him was when my guinea pig Chewie suddenly grew a mammary tumor.  After trying two other vets, who basically told me the surgery would cost over $300 and the outcome would not be good, I found Dr. Landess recommended for guinea pigs online.

Dr. Landess looked at Chewie, told me he could remove it, and said he would do it for $120.  He then said, "I should really charge more, but I do it just cause I like the little guys!"  The surgery was successful, and Chewie lived to be 6.

I have since taken my bunnies and guinea pigs alike to Nokomis Vet Clinic - it's a 45 minute drive for me, but it's worth it!  Both Dr. Landess and his staff have always handled my babies very gently, and saved my bunny's life during a bout of GI stasis.  I know several people who use Nokomis Vet Clinic, and haven't heard of anyone having a bad experience.

Their website:  http://www.exoticpetsvet.com/
Phone:  941-484-2485