[Gpdd] Health: Miss Scarlett with stones, sludge and squeaking when peeing

bradfolg at vt.edu bradfolg at vt.edu
Wed Jan 20 07:41:33 EST 2010

Morning everyone,

I'm so behind on my digests.  We got a wonderful piggie exchange gift from Andy
and Jean Sill.  The piggies loved all the gifts including barley hay, that
they'd never had before.  Thanks Jean and Andy.

And to Ellen, I was so sorry to hear that you lost another little one.  I hated
to hear that Cheyenie had gone to join Rufie.  It's so hard to lose our little
ones.  I'm sure Cheyenie and Rufie are playing together in the clover at the
Rainbow Bridge.

Back before Christmas, I sent the following message to the digest, but didn't
receive a response:

BTW -- for those of you who have piggies who get stones frequently.  Would you
recommend the Shilintong to help her pass the sludge and stuff she keeps
getting?  I brought her home in the spring and she's been on antibiotics or
some type of drug therapy off and on the entire time.  When not on medication,
she squeaks and cries pitifully when she pees.  Poor Miss Scarlett.

Well, Scarlett had to have emergency surgery two days before Christmas for a
stone.  She came out of the surgery fine, but she immediately started squeaking
again.  She's been on antibiotics (baytril and one recent one I can't remember,
we've not had before), citrate, and pain meds.  Low and behold, she has two
more stones, as of yesterday.

Suggestions from anyone?  Shilintong?  And what do you do when you can no longer
afford the pricey surgeries?  Her visit to the vet, when she was picked up on
Christmas Eve, was $1300.  If we had all the money in the world, it wouldn't be
a problem.  But we don't.  And if she's growing stones this quickly ....

Poor Scarlett.  She and her sister were returned to a pet store.  We've had them
since last spring.  Poor Scarlett has squeaked ever since.  We've tried the
antibiotics.  We've tried pain meds.  I just don't know what else to do.

So, please help?
Libby and the singing piggies