[Gpdd] MISC: I Need Introduction Advice!

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Jan 20 07:42:29 EST 2010

Get her a first of two Ivermectin shots at the shelter or vet before you get
home so you dont bring mites, fleas, or internal parasites into the herd.
Keep her across the room for a week to make sure she's not sick, be sure not
to cross contaminate food or equipment. In the same room she will be getting
her first intro. Later put her side by side with Olivia. If they like each
other well this way, after a while you can introduce them in a neutral
place, I use my walk in shower, it will have a huge salad on a plate in the
middle. I put the pigs in one at each end and stand by with a thick towel in
case they get into a really big fight. Sometimes a small dab of Vicks
Vapo-rub under their noses and on their butts. as the sense of smell is
important in introductions, this way they both smell the same. They may
rumblestrut and even mount each other, and growl and face off. Usually your
salad will win out and after eating their fill will usually prefer a nap,
maybe even together Little fights dont count.  If it goes really well try
them in the same cage, the new pigs cage not the old pigs , or if they are
iffy side by side and repeat the intro sessions until it works.  Supervise
them closely until you are sure they like each other, even if you have to
separate them when you aren't there. Let us know if need more help. Once
they are in one cage make sure its big enough for 2 bottles, 2 food dishes,
2 pigloos so one cant steal it all for herself, any piggy cage should have 2
piggy bottles to prevent water bottle accidents which can be fatal. You
never know the dynamic may change so much that all 4 can live together if
you can make a big enough cage, they are herding animals and there will be a
boss piggy.  Good Luck Sandy and Sammy