[Gpdd] [CARE] Rescue says my hutch is too small

rj1571 rj1571 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 14:47:09 EST 2010

Hi

I have been looking into the possibility of rescuing a pair of guinea pigs from a local rescue since my last deer girl Faith died over Christmas. Talking to them on email and the phone, I was due to visit them tomorrow to see the guinea pigs. I was emailing to let them know about my hutch set up and they emailed me back this afternoon saying it is too small.

They say on their rehoming policy that the hutch must be 4ft by 2 ft, mine is 4ft by 18 inches but has two floors so I didn't think this was going to be a problem. I had it made specially as I couldn't find a two storey hutch that had ramps I would consider a guinea pig could climb. I bought the biggest commercially available hutch I could find then my cousin built a lower storey and a half floor midway (referred to at home as the landing) so piggies could go halfway up, have a rest if they wanted before going the rest of the way. The ramps were built so shallowly that an elderly guinea pig could easily walk up them. The hutch is housed permanently indoors, with a large run outdoors for regular grass time when the weather is better than it is now.

I always felt that I provided my girls with the best possible home I could, now I feel horrible, like I have been abusing my girls for all this time having them in an unsuitable home. I have my cousin coming over on Sunday to do some repairs to the ramps to fix some wear and tear but there is no way we can modify to make it all 6 inches wider, might as well scrap the lot.

Does this mean I cannot adopt any guinea pigs? Do the members on hear who run rescues feel the same about my set up not providing enough room?  Please feel free to say what you really think, I genuinely want to know if  I have been doing the wrong thing for all these years.

Beki