[Gpdd] [CARE] Rescue says my hutch is too small

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Jan 22 18:33:05 EST 2010

Beki,

Your indoor hutch sounds to me like an excellent piggy home.

My local rescue suggests a hutch of 4ft. x 18in. x 18in. high with an
exercise area of at least 18 square feet so your piggy home and outdoor run
would fit their criteria.

I have indoor wire pens for my piggies and these vary in size. Some are 4ft.
x 4ft., some are 3ft. x 3ft.and others are somewhat narrower to fit in with
the dimensions of my house. I have an outside run 12ft. x 12ft. for summer
exercise for my sows and various arks for the boars. All of this was deemed
to be more than enough for me to adopt piggies when I first applied years
ago. The rehomer was so enamoured of the outdoor facilities, which were full
of piggies on the day that she came, that she never measured the indoor
pens.

Is there another rescue close to you that has less stringent rehoming
requirements?

I expect that your piggies have floor time as well. I only rescue piggies
and never, ever rehome them but if I did I would find your arrangements
perfect for piggies.

Some of mine never use half the space in their pens and, given several boxes
for hiding and sleeping often prefer to all snuggle up together in the
smallest one.

Any chance that you could make a wire pen to the rescue's required size
instead of the hutch? Or maybe you have dogs or cats that would make a
simple pen unsuitable.

Best of luck,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.