[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE New Little Piggyfriends

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Jan 27 10:56:29 EST 2010

The RSPCA removed over 100 piggies from a one bedroom flat and, not having the space for them all, asked various rescues if they could take some. My local independent rescue, Raystede, was asked if they could help and they agreed to take 26 sows.

Having so many boars at the moment, I had not intended to take on any more piggies unless they turned up on my doorstep and I had no choice but there is always room for a sow or two as they like to live in groups and I only ever have my boars in pairs.

The animal care manager, knowing how much we love piggies, told my son, Kevin, who works there, about them so the day after they arrived I went along to take a look at them all. Kevin got the key and let me into the Cavy House and I could see that a wire fence had been erected across a side of the building but where were the piggies? Two plastic dog beds had been inverted over a load of hay and there were several cardboard boxes of hay too. We climbed into this makeshift pen and carefully lifted the dog beds expecting to see piggies hiding underneath. No piggies. Kevin moved the dog beds over and there they all were, in two heaps in the corners.

I presume that they were too scared to come out when there was anyone present, although piles of little poos indicated that they had been out and about. I don't imagine that they had ever been handled as they were cowering in their corners afraid to move. There were all different colours and sizes and, despite Leigh, the "Small Animals" section head saying that they were between 6 months and a year, many of them looked far younger.

I could see a fluffy pale ginger and white rex face peering out from the top of one of the piles and she looked so much like my Gingerbread here at home that I told her that I would be back for her asap. There was a pretty grey and white Sheltie that seemed older than most and, when I lifted a cardboard box there was a little black girl, so scared to run that she let me pick her up and give her a cuddle. "I'll be back for you too" I said.

I wanted to give them all a home but have to be reasonable and went back last Friday intending to take three. I have a large pen which has, in the past, housed seven or eight piggies and is currently home to only three so I thought that three more would make up a good number, especially as my youngster Pandora lives there and would like some company nearer her own age.

I picked the Rex-type to take home. Her coat is actually slightly longer than the average Rex so she might have some Texel in her too. She also has more of the pale ginger on her back, whereas Gingerbread is white there. Her coat may grow when she is older. I looked for the Sheltie but Jason, the animal care manager, had already taken her and two others for his own piggy herd so those three will have a wonderful home. He is as potty about piggies as we all are.

Then I looked for the little black one. It was fun to watch Leigh scrambling about on the floor trying to catch her after she ran off after her box was lifted but she caught her in the end and I put her in my carrier.

Then Leigh said that there was another Rexy type that seemed to be a friend to the one that I had already chosen. I had not seen her before so Leigh searched for her. She has a darker face and has two different browns with some white. Leigh passed her to her assistant, who juggled her to me and into the second carrier she went.

Then a thin black and white piggy with very pink ears ran up to the front of the pen as if to say, " You are not going home without me are you?" The only one not to hide! So into the carrier she went.

A friend of my Rodentologist is having two little tort and whites so that is 9 of these little treasures rehomed already. The others will be paired up or made into groups or trios with a neutered boar so that a boar can find a home too once Leigh has had a chance to assess them all.

They are in my quarantine pen at the moment. They have surprisingly good coats but have started on their Ivermectin just in case. I think that they must have lived in small cages in their previous home as, apart from the black and white " late addition " they prefer to hide. I was worried that the little black one was not eating as she just cowered in a corner so I decided to put her in a separate cage for the time being to keep an eye on her. They did not seem to know what veggies were but, with the black and white one taking the lead they are now having a go at a few things. They will not touch cucumber but seem very keen on grass. Just as well the snow has gone. This morning they gathered around to eat some veg and grass without being scared of me being close by cleaning out the other pens. They will take some time to become tame and may spend longer than anticipated on their own rather than subject them to my bold and outspoken sows in the big pen.

These three are nearly impossible to catch as they move like greased lightning but given time and love they will come around.

The little black one has become tamer, due to me picking her up and trying to get her to eat and, although I can convince her to eat strips of celery, carrot and parsley stalks when she is on my lap, she will only eat grass and hay when she is in her cage. I have seen her investigating her dried food bowl too. I was panicking about her indifference to food but I need not have worried because I believe that she is eating at night as, although the veggies remain untouched, there are piles of poos in her cage. I have her cage next to the other three so that she can still see them and I hope that they will go back together eventually. The black and white one is a boss pig in the making and may be too much for this little one. Never mind. There will be a solution and time will tell.

As some of you know the naming of names always takes me a while.

I had Portia on my shortlist for the black and white girl and then Pat's new girl arrived with that name. Pat says that I should use Portia for my girl as Portia Piggyfriend sounds good ( and it does, doesn't it? ) as her Portia is subject to change as she did not choose it herself. So Portia it is.

For the fluffy girls I have continued my horticultural theme and they are going to be named Florence and Fennel, the ginger and white being Florence.

I was thinking of names for my little black girl and Kevin said that as my other black pig ( a big Texel boar ) is called Shadow, why don't I call her Moonlight, from a favourite song from way, way back when. "Moonlight Shadow". Anyone in England remember "Dave Angel Eco-Warrior" from the Fast Show? They used it as his theme tune though the original has lyrics.Thought not. Never mind. Moonlight she will be.

It will be a while before I can take any pigtures. The piglets will be gone in a flash if I try to pose them and then step back with the camera. Maybe I can hold them ( although they squirm like little eels ) and Kevin can take a pigture. I'll see.

In the meantime, please welcome Portia, Moonlight, Florence and Fennel, the newest Piggyfriends.

Now we really are full up.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.