[Gpdd] [Behavior] Donovan's roomate problems

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Jan 28 05:43:51 EST 2010

ME.

It would be a shame to split up Donovan and Chakalaka when it may not be
necessary. If they were fighting, you would be certain to see and hear
evidence of this.

Some piggies are natural "barbers" as you have experienced when Chakalaka
attempts his hairdressing on you. I have never had one of these but have
seen the results on other people's piggies when the coat is nibbled down
short rather like a mown lawn..

If I find a Piggyfriend with a scabby coat, my first thoughts are of a
parasite/fungal problem and the piggy is immediately given a dose of
Ivermectin and has a bath in my anti parasite/fungus shampoo. Piggies in
England are more prone to fungal problems because of our damp climate but
piggies living in the enviable and wonderful climate of Florida may not have
to put up with this.

The scabs are more likely to show on an Abby  because of the bare skin in
the centre of the rosettes and, if Chakalaka scratches himself, he could
easily be causing the bleeding himself.

Give the Ivermectin a try first ( unless you see that they are actually
fighting.) Some vets insist on a scrape test but this is unnecessary. I
treat the Piggyfriends every three months with this and keep a chart so that
I know who is due next but occasionally I need to give an extra dose in
between times. A second dose can be given 10-14 days after the first if
needed and I repeat the shampoo to wash out all the debris. You might want
to treat them both.

Good luck.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.