[Gpdd] HEALTH: Worried about Elder Piggie Audrey --- What's GoingOn?

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Jan 31 03:03:16 EST 2010

Ok! Pat,   I have some specific suggestions.  When we have pigs with hind
end paresis there are 2 specific suggestions  First you should immediately
start supplementing here with chewable vitamin C. Put a 30 to 50 mg pill
into her mouth just behind her teeth so she will eat it instead of spitting
it out. If it seems to large break it into smaller pieces, but big enough
she chews, if she does chew it's prob not her teeth, and the act of chewing
the hard tab will help wear them down, the pepper was a good indication, use
organic if possible, the regular ones have one of the highest pesticide
loads of any veg or fruit. If she cant eat it have tweezers ready to extract
it but I think from your description that she can eat, have a syringe of
water handy for afterwards..  We have had very good luck with Vit C therapy,
twice a day is best. Also give her therapy, move her legs gently and
encourage her to walk.

Second in senior sows often the reproductive organs have started to fail
with hormone imbalances or tumors, cysts or cancer. This is often associated
with hair loss on the flanks and much increased thirst. Does she seem more
pear shaped than before?  This can be treated with hormones and have the vet
feel for tumors or fluid filled cysts which can be drained with a needle.
Long term the prognosis is not good but she can be made much ore comfy for a
good period of time depending on her condition.

Very rarely in pigs but very common in rabbits (so its important to know if
she has ever been exposed to one) is a parasitic disease called e.cuniculi.
It will commonly lay dormant for the animals whole life only to pop up in
old age as her immune system wanes. This infestation's first symptom is hind
end paresis (paralysis). This hind end paralysis is often found and fixed in
pigs with the vit C therapy, turnaround in a few days to a couple weeks.  I
have had reason recently to wonder if it is actually the e.c. parasite but
the immune boost from the Vit C helps them fight it off.
Also there is a theory that treatment during a lifetime esp. very early with
ivermectin destroys an inactive e.c. infection. Has she been treated with
ivermectin in her life?

If it looks like e.c there is a 3 drug protocol used. One is one of 3 -zole
family drugs, Panacur is used most commonly, also an antibiotic and NSAID
pain reliever. After the hind legs, it goes to the kidneys and up to the
brain so its important to catch it early. Some vets add a steroid. This is a
very difficult diagnosis to make but there is a titre test. It take 2 weeks
for results and is difficult to read/ interpret. A second test is often
given to determine a movement in the titre which indicates a change in the
infection, the trouble with the titre test is that it takes awhile and is so
indeterminate, but in guinea pigs it may be more determinative because the
infection is thought to be rare, so if a positive titre comes up I would say
that's it.

But immediately start with the Vit C supplement and peppers, therapy, and
encourage her to walk, even if its a few steps to get the peppers she loves.
An ultra sound can see if there is trouble with the female organs, and I
covered e.c.

There will be costs associated with all but the Vit C deficiency so you must
make a determination but there is often fairly rapid turn around with Vit C
therapy. After you read this if you want more info about any of these
diseases and treatments please post again, in the meantime post answers to
the questions asked and lets see if we can get closer to a diagnosis. Do
force feed her, weight loss in a pig is very important, Even a middle of the
night session is helpful.  And if she is getting dry oatmeal or barley make
sure it is with lots of fluid so her gut doesn't get impacted, I dont
normally use dry grains. Many of us use plain canned pumpkin its very high
fiber and caloric for a pig.

Write with anymore questions  and good luck  Sandy and Shipwreck Sam