[Gpdd] HEALTH: Audrey Sinking --- Need Advice

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 31 19:58:04 EST 2010

I have no idea whether anyone else from GPDD is online right now --- I didn't see any recent messages --- and I've lost track of what time it is anywhere else in the world but I'm hoping some kind soul is out there and disposed to offer some advice, expert or not.

I immediately put into effect the advice Penny and Sandy offered about administering calcium and Vitamin C, and have continued to forcefeed, at least until noon today (so she got three doses of the calcium and C, about five forcefeeding sessions, a small amount each time).  Nonetheless, my poor sweet little Audrey has continued to lose ground at a scary pace.  Her hind end is working as well as her front legs are, but she can no longer stand up or hold her head up, except very very briefly.  I stopped the forcefeeding when she would not or could not swallow anymore.  I am still debating whether to continue trying to syringe in small amounts of water just to keep her mouth wet, but picking her up to do this does upset her so it would have to be worth that.

She doesn't show any sign of being in pain or upset; most of the time she appears to be in a deep sleep, rousing mostly only when Doris bumps the pigloo she's sleeping in.  Just before I left to come down here (don't have a computer at home) and post this, she did work her way out of the pigloo and push herself very slowly around the cage for a bit, resting for a while in one spot and then moving on; I'm not sure if she was looking for Doris or a more comfortable spot, but she settled down in a back corner after a while and was quiet again.  I honestly don't know if I will see her alive again.

That's my problem, though.  If this looks like it will go on and on, do I intervene?  The vet who cares for my oldest cat is a very kind and gentle person and likes small animals; she only does housecalls and I could probably arrange for her to come and help Audrey to the Bridge if that seemed necessary.   The vet I usually see is not back until Wednesday and I hate to think of stuffing her into a carrier and taking her out in the cold for that trip anyhow.

Anyhow, I'm going to send this off in the hopes someone will see it and respond before I have to leave; times like these make it seem worth the cost of a computer at home, but at this moment, I was glad to get out of the house and walk down here in the snow.  Doris slept right next to Audrey's pigloo last night, which she never does, but I know Audrey finds her company much more of a comfort than mine and I know Doris is staying close by....

                                                                                                 Pat S.