[Gpdd] Gpdd (Care) (ice bottles, blue ice)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 06:11:38 EDT 2010

Hi,
This may be a controversial issue, but when we did not have an AC, I would
often freeze Blue Ice--usually the size that's about 5X6" or so--and you can
lay it outside, along the cage wall, standing up,  so the pig has a wall of
coolness.  Or you can put a few under her cage.  they last a long time.
Also, what worked for me:  after taking one out of the freezer, I would
place it in the cage, flat, in the corner, wrapped securely in an old tee
shirt or hand towel, or both.  that way as long as it is securely wrapped
aroud the plastic, the pig can't bite through --because the fluid inside is
very toxic.
I never knew this before about the fluid in the blue ice.  I had the piggies
at the pet boarding place, and they told me the blue fluid inside blue ice
can be fatal if swallowed.  That was when I really got cautious...my piggies
never would bite that much so it was fine, and they enjoyed lying on top and
cooling off. also this works with an ice bottle wrapped in a small towel, it
may not scare her if it looks like a towel.
-from,
Ellen and furry friends