[Gpdd] Gpdd (announcement) (new Rodent)

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jul 10 05:16:38 EDT 2010

Ellen,

Welcome to your new chinchilla. What a lovely idea to name him after dear
Fugly.

When I used to have a table at the RSCPA Pet Days, a nearby table was often
used by a lady who bred chinchillas. They are such gorgeous creatures and
she used to let me pick them up for a cuddle. I love their huge whiskers.

They nearly always have a few at my local rescue but, being nocturnal, they
are generally asleep when I visit. I think that people do not realise quite
what they are taking on when they buy one and they end up at the rescue,
where they live in huge cages and, again, are mostly asleep when visitors go
into the small animal house and are difficult to rehome.

Algernon Rat visited them when he was staying with us and we found one that
was awake for a photograph.

http://rememberingalge.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

After a lifetime of giving out huge piles of veggies to piggies, I would
feel mean not doing the same for a chinchilla but the signs on their cages
say that they have delicate digestive systems and must not be given much
veg. The residue from the dust baths must be messy to clean up in the home.
At the rescue, the cages are up on  stands so all the dust falls through
onto the floor where it can be swept up.

Welcome Fugly.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.