[Gpdd] HEALTH Velvet's eyes.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Jul 16 18:00:33 EDT 2010

Glynis,

I am surprised that your vet needed to knock Velvet out to get a blood sample. Usually overclipping a nail is sufficient.

Cataracts are generally bilateral, the second one coming soon after the first and if cataracts are her only problem, then she will have no difficulty adjusting to her situation.

Several Piggyfriends over the years have developed cataracts, not only in old age, and have lived as happy a life as their sighted friends.

I once had a mother, Cloud, and her two daughters, Primrose and Snowdrop, one of whom was born blind. The sighted daughter acted as a seeing eye pig to her sister and they always followed each other. When mother developed cataracts in old age, the daughter was her "guide" too. They would all go out into the big garden pen and safely negotiated all the pipes, shelters and other pigs and had no difficulty finding the food bowl.

Onyx will be Velvet's eyes as well as her best friend. Try not to worry.

Hope all goes well at the vet tomorrow.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.