[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Checkers

debrastory at aol.com debrastory at aol.com
Sat Jul 17 17:52:32 EDT 2010

Debra and the remaining Story Piggies are sad to announce the loss of
another of the Story Piggies.  Checkers left us for the Rainbow Bridge
early Tuesday morning.  My husband ,Hal ,was in the hospital for three
days, and I was running back and forth from the hospital a lot.
Therefore, I could have missed some signs of illness during those three
days. I am not sure if I did or not, but Sunday I noticed that Checkers
was having difficulty breathing. I treated him that afternoon with some
antibiotic and decongestant that I had left from Lilac.  Monday morning
he went to the veterinarian's office.  The vet prescribed more of the
same antibiotic and gave him a good checkup.  He told me that Checkers
was very congested in his lungs and that he was in "guarded" condition.
  He also gave him some subcutaneous fluids to help with dehydration,
since he did not want to eat or drink.  I was syringe feeding him all
day Sunday, but Monday he kept spitting the food out as soon as I put
it in his mouth.  I think he was having too much trouble breathing to
attempt to eat.  Sadly, Checkers passed over early Tuesday morning.  He
was the last of my beautiful TSW Teddies, and he was a VERY sweet boy.
He and Calico were both the most calm and friendly piggies I have ever
met.  Checkers, like Calico, will be deeply missed.  My husband and I
spent all day Tuesday trying to give the CC condo a thorough cleaning
and sanitizing.  I certainly hope that we don't lose any more piggies.
Our newest member, Sooty, is still being kept in a separate cage until
we are certain that this "bug" has passed.  Cheekie is still fighting
to stay with us, but has gotten very thin.  He is battling with stones
and recurring bladder infections, but he is too old and too poor of
condition to have surgery.  Therefore, he is almost always on
antibiotics.  Marble, Teddy and Curly are still with us as well, and I
am praying that they will not get sick.  I hope our thorough cleaning
of the condo prevented any spread of Checkers' illness.

We all send our deepest condolences to all who have lost "fur babies"
recently.  There have been way too many leaving us lately.  I hope that
this trend will end soon.  Healing Wheeeeks to all from Debra and The
Story Piggies