[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT and RAINBOW BRIDGE: introducing Ethan and mourning Copper

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Mon Jul 19 16:38:35 EDT 2010

Well, I have good news and bad news.  First the good news.  On July 11th
we adopted a baby piggie named Ethan from a rescue.  Ethan is about four
weeks old, and his original family surrendered him, his mother, and his
siblings to the rescue.  Seems they had let their boy and girl pig
"play" together.

Ethan is the name he came with, and we've decided to keep it.  A good
thing, since it turns out that he already knows it.  He was fostered by
another family, and they obviously did a great job.

Friday and Ethan hit it off immediately in a neutral area of our house.
I didn't even see any period of adjustment.  Friday has missed
Tumbleweed so much, and he is thrilled to have a pal, even one who runs
over and under him.

Our new boy is a Texel and looks like a tiny sheep.  He has
charcoal-gray "pants" and part of a charcoal gray mask around his eyes.
In the middle he is white.  His coloration is quite a lot like Tumbleweed's.

On the sad news side, we did adopt another piggie in late June.  His
name was Copper, and a man had brought him into my vet's with severe
heatstroke.  When the man found out Copper would have to live inside
(the temp that day was 100), he said he couldn't keep him.  After our
vet gave him fluid therapy, etc., Copper seemed to be OK.  However, once
we got him home the next day, he didn't want to eat.  This was a
Saturday, so we did our best to hydrate him with a slurry of pellets and
water and later with homemade Pedialyte.  He began perking up, and on
Monday morning, when I was going to take him to the vet's, he ate
breakfast on his own.  By Monday afternoon, I thought he was most of the
way out of the woods.  Tuesday morning, however, he refused all food.  I
rushed him to the vet, who did everything he could, to no avail.  We had
to help Copper to the Bridge.  I held him after he got his sedative and
before he got the final shot <sniff>.

Copper was maybe four years old or older.  He was an agouti, I think,
with black and copper hairs.  He also had a crest.  Such a wonderful,
friendly boy who loved to sit on my husband's lap and in the crook of my
arm and who thought orchard grass was a wonderful invention.  I hope he
knew some happiness with us before he made his final trip.  He was only
with us three days.

Cindy, Friday, and Ethan, missing Tumbleweed and Copper