[Gpdd] [CARE] how to play with gps

Ronald Zimmerman rzm.2 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 22 20:00:24 EDT 2010

Elise-
Hi! Welcome to the digest, good to have you aboard! It sounds like you are doing well with your piggies & just need to work patiently with them. It also sounds like you are doing well with their nails. Nails can be a daunting task & taking it slowly like you are is a good approach. Piggies love to chew, esp. cardboard, paper, etc... My piggie Mimi has a tendency to eat everything I give her though, so she just gets wood chew sticks, no more cardboard or paper products. The wood chews are the only thing she doesn't eat. Make sure when you pick them up that you support their back legs. I put my right hand under Mimi's front legs & my left hand under her butt & hold her against my chest facing me. Guinea pigs do not like being carried around in the air so try to minimize that. As far as getting them to trust you & let you cuddle them, it takes time. I've had piggies who took a VERY long time to come to trust me & some that took to me immediately. When you go to pick them up, try not to chase them around. They are prey animals so that scares them. Try putting your had down in front of him & pet him some, talk to him, then scoop him up with both hands & hold him like I mentioned before. You can then try sitting down, putting a towel on your lap & setting him down into your lap on the towel. He should feel safer. My piggie Mimi is a big snuggle piggie. Every night she snuggles in her towel on my lap while my husband & I watch TV. She will stay that way for at least an hour. She curls up & falls asleep & I think she would stay there forever if I'd let her, but my legs fall asleep & eventually she has to pee! All my piggies have eventually turned out to be snuggly piggies, although none as much as Mimi. Some of them took awhile to get there though. Some piggies just aren't as snuggly as others & may never like to be held for too long. It sounds like you are doing a good job with them though & if you have any other questions feel free to ask. We are a very close group here & always glad to help.
P.S.- If you want to see pics of Mimi snuggling click on the link to my Photobucket page below!

~Jaime & Mimi~
~Missing Albert, Molly, Radar & Daisy~
http://s652.photobucket.com/albums/uu246/chirpy123/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AintThatCrafty?ga_search_query=aintthatcrafty&ga_search_type=seller_usernames