[Gpdd] [Offtopic]: Annie's bun, Rebecca

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat Jul 24 10:24:32 EDT 2010

Dear Joanie,  I dont doubt what you say about the trauma of Rebecca's
earlier life before her current benefactor but let me share with you one
very important fact about buns. They hate vets, go nuts around cats and
dogs, and if her owner were to join etherbun she would be urged to not leave
her bun in a hospital at all unless it literally life and death medically.
Buns decline fast when apart from their home surroundings and in a vet or
care situation they can actually drop dead from fright, they are prey
animals. They will often feel pain more acutely and stop eating more
readily. Piggies are the same but a tad less sensitive. On etherbun owners
are taught to give sub Q fluids themselves, and perform all sorts of
procedures to keep them out of clinics except for a very necessary quick
appointment and then with an exotics or rodentologists who does not have
dogs and cats on the premises.  This is an important part of their treatment
and helps them get well much faster. Scared buns do much worse than buns at
home.

So have her owner join etherbun and learn how to best treat a sick bun. I
cant pretend to know all the circumstances here but these are basic facts.
Local and national House Rabbit society chapters maintain lists of
acceptable bunny vets, and there are international groups too (they can be
googled), etherbun serves many countries and medical info is avail at
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/index_en.htm, as well.  I hope Rebecca gets the
help he needs and gets well soon.

BTW when stressed or sick buns stop eating they tend much more than piggies
to into stasis or intestinal ileus. The best protocol for dealing with this
is at this web site which is owned by etherbuns owner
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/rabbithealth.html  specifically
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html  which has its own link for a copy
to take to a non bun vet, or any vet that isn't up th University of Miami
Standards   I use it for piggies in stasis
ove and prayers for Rebecca  Sandy and Sammy