[Gpdd] CARE (how to play with guinea pigs)

grace ramp gracetheface at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 15:38:51 EDT 2010

I made the mistake of not socializing my three rescued guinea pigs.  A mama with two babies.  By the time I felt they were comfortable in my home, it was too late.  They were terrified of me.  I've had them now for almost 3 years and they will let me hold them if they are in the cozy.  It seems to give them a sense of security.  In the beginning they went crazy in there when I petted them.  Trying to squirm out of my reach and pushing as far into the cozy as they could.  Now they will tolerate some petting and don't jump around or try to get away from me.  And yesterday for the first time another rescue, Peanut, who I have had for just about a year finally allowed me to scratch her head.  She usually tries to get away too, but yesterday she went into that little piggie trance and never moved.  She was in her cage in the cozy when I petted her.  I think I'll have to do it that way.  They just don't like being held.  My other pigs did, but I didn't make
 the mistakes I made with these girls.  I hope you will be able to play with your pigs.  It is great when you can.
Grace, Gus, Rusty, Babe and Peanut (with Oreo, Pork Chop and Sugar at the Bridge)