[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: Marble Surgery

debrastory at aol.com debrastory at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 17:38:00 EDT 2010

Hello Friends:

Marble is home from surgery, and he seems to be doing well so far.  He
has been picking at his hay and ate about four dandelion leaves!  I
hope he continues to do well and does not get any kind of infection or
anything.  Also, I hope he keeps eating.  The vet said that he had a
tumor that was in his skin.  It had gotten about 1/2 inch or so large.
He said that he took out some of the area around it to be sure he got
all of it.  I thought it was best that we got rid of it.  He said that
fatty tumors are usually under the skin and not in it.  Therefore, he
did not think this was a fatty tumor.  Also, it was rather firm and
seemed to bother Marble. I could see that his fur was damp where he had
been chewing on it occasionally.  So far, he had not broken it open
with his teeth. The vet said that if I wanted to be safer, it would be
better to do it now rather than when it became real large.  It would be
easier on Marble now, and it would be a better chance of getting it
before it became cancerous or otherwise dangerous (if it decided to do
that, and if it was not already cancerous).  I have never had any luck
with needle biopsies.  I tried them on two other cavies earlier, and
they both came back inconclusive. With all of the expenses we have had
with other pets the last four months, I elected not to pay of a needle
biopsy again this time.  I guess one never knows for sure whether or
not to remove these things.  If I was sure that it would not get real
large or become cancerous, I probably would have left well enough
alone, but neither I nor the vet could be sure of this.  I certainly
hope that I made the correct decision for Marble.  I have lost four
cavies in the last couple months, and I certainly do not want to lose
Marble too.  I guess all you can do is hope and pray that you made the
correct decision.

We wish to thank all of you who sent e-mails, advice and well wishes.
It means so much to hear from other cavy lovers at times like these.
We all understand that cavies are not throw away pets, and we all love
them as one of the family.  Thanks again to all of you.  I will try to
keep you posted on Marble's progress.

Wheeeeeeks From,
Debra and Marble