[Gpdd] BREEDING [information]

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jul 31 18:34:32 EDT 2010

Welcome back Linda and welcome little Abigail.

I hope, for her sake and yours, that she is not pregnant but there is lots
of help available here and on both GuineaLynx and Peter Gurney's pages.

I have never bred piggies but have a small sanctuary for unwanted piggies
and sometimes these have arrived pregnant.

Around three weeks into the pregnancy, the expectant mum can be see to be
drinking more. Many of them become decidedly pear shaped as the pregnancy
progresses and around a week to ten days before the birth you can feel the
babes moving inside. Sometimes you can see her sides move as the babes kick
about.

During pregnancy she will need extra calcium plus Vitamin D to produce
strong babes and this is available as a liquid or as tablets here in
England. Overseas readers please advise! She can have high calcium foods
such as leafy greens and should also have extra Vit C.

I give expectant mums raspberry leaves as these are said to help with the
birth.  Raspberry leaf tablets are available here but I have the plants
growing at the end of the garden and dry some leaves for winter use.

I also give expectant mums a dish of brown bread and cow's milk. Some hate
it, some love it but it is a way of getting the extra calcium where it is
needed.

I have never noticed that mums-to-be nibble on clothes and hands and suspect
that this is just her individual taste - nothing to do with pregnancy.

Best of luck with little Abigail.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.