[Gpdd] Gpdd [Health] (flakey skin on piggie nose)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 06:47:41 EDT 2010

Hi all,
My piggie, Sammie, started to have a strange skin rash on the ridge of her
nose that has not gone away. I did take her to the vet who took a few hairs
with skin to be tested for ringworm.  That was three wheeks ago and we are
still awaiting results.
Meanwhile, she has been sneezing and I noticed discharge from her nose
(these were the initial reasons I had taken her into the vet).  At that
time, the vet said not to do anything.  Well, I called them again since the
sneezing and discharge continued and was not clear. The vet called in a
childrens's medicine called Sulfamethoxazole-TMP (Sulfatrim) to  be given
0.35 mL twice a day for 10 days.  Since Li'l Red is in the same cage with
her and basically has the same symptoms, I am--at the authorization of the
vet--also giving the med to her as well, along with Oxbow vitamin C and
syringes of water.

I am thinking the line of rough skin going up the ridge of Sammie's nose is
related to something but not sure what.  I don't think it is ringworm,
though. Has anyone seen this in a piggie?
It may be some type of fungal thing, perhaps?

Is anyone familiar with Sulfatrim and if so, what are your takes on it?

Thanks,
Ellen