[Gpdd] Behavior: Advice on piggie introductions

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Jun 6 05:38:09 EDT 2010

My experience is that in general the boar rules the roost in a multi pig
household. he picks his fav girl and if she is the right temperament she
comes the boss sow. In this case a very young sow might be best so she
accepts Isabel as a mother figure rather than picking a sow in her prime who
might want to challenge Isabel for he spot. If the boar keeps order all is
fine, but their are some sows who refuse to live with other sows and its
hard to know in advance. In this case since the new sow would be spayed she
would be less hormonally driven to want to rule the roost, so she's a good
choice for a third in a trio. I'm quite sure others here will have had many
different experiences so everybody should chime in.

I have had overly bossy sows who calmed right down when introduced to a
boar. Since these two have been a pair for a long time a new should fit in
but there's no guarantee, the spaying gives much greater hope.  Lotsa and
happiness for your new group. Sandy and Sammy