[Gpdd] MISC Sugar Plum's surprise

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Jun 8 12:09:36 EDT 2010

Hi Pat,

That must have been a surprise when you and the vet turned Sugar Plum over and discovered that he is a he.

He is a gorgeous piggy and you will find that boars are just as much fun as sows, sometimes more so as a single boar is likely to bond with you if he does not have his own boar companion.

Shame on the staff at the rescue for not noticing that he is a boar. It is possible to make a mistake with tiny babes but to mis-sex a five month old is poor judgment on the part of so-called "experts". There is plenty to see at that age as you have discovered. Wasn't it lucky that he came home with you and not with someone who immediately put him into a cage of girls?

Apple might be more interested in him when she is in season. Size doesn't matter as baby boars are very precocious and any who are not removed from their mother at 3/4 weeks are quite capable of making her pregnant.

I have boars living in next door pens to my groups of sows. They all enjoy a chat through the wire but I never let them run together. It only takes a moment for an accident to happen, with dire consequences for older sows who have not had a litter.

Are you going to rename him? I call all of my piggies my sugar plums regardless of sex and the boars never seem to mind.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.