[Gpdd] Behavior: Advice on piggie introductions

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Jun 8 12:47:39 EDT 2010

I don't often have this situation as my sows live in groups with new
arrivals joining a suitable group and I seldom have a last survivor but my
Gingerbread was the last of her family. As she was well over six at the time
and given to sleeping most of the day, I thought that it might be too much
for such an elderly lady to have a new sow running around her or to put her
in another group. She was quite content to live in a pen right next to two
boisterous boars, who entertained her with their antics and provided a
source of companionship and chats through the wire when she needed it but
allowed to her enjoy a well earned rest.

If Isabel were mine, I would put her alongside Luke for companionship or
rescue a couple of needy sows to be next door neighbours. If she took to
them, she could have floor time with them and see how they got on but she
could also have all the peace and quiet that a sow of that age wants.

Of course, my piggies are always surrounded by the noise of many other
piggies going about their daily routine and are never really alone.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.