[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Velvet's Eye - Cataract

ME me at buddies.org
Fri Jun 18 04:57:35 EDT 2010

Guinea pigs can live with cataracts very well.  My diabetic guinea pig, Viola, developed them when she was around 1.5 years old, and lived another four years after that.  I didn't treat her eyes with anything.  I don't know how much sight she had, but Truffles was her eyes and the two were inseparable.

I teach all my babies to take from a syringe as soon as they get in with the herd.  Actually, I don't teach them anything ... I just put the syringe in the cage, giving it to the big girls ... and the babies get curious and come after it.  My problem is that I end up with several trying to attack the syringe at once.  I also teach them to eat from a spoon in the same way.  I do have one adult who does not take the syringe or eat from a spoon while in the cage ... she's just not that sort of pig ... so I don't force it.  We'll see how the babies do once they settle in ... I think Joy will take to it fairly quickly ... not sure about Destiny.