[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Velvet's Eye - Cataract

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jun 19 07:04:46 EDT 2010

Hi Glynis,

I am sorry that Velvet's eye problem turned out to be a cataract but this is
not uncommon in piggies, who seem to cope very well with the condition.

I have had several piggies in the past who had cataracts, usually in old age
and, as long as I kept the food bowl, hideys, water etc. in the usual place,
they had no difficulty being part of the herd. Watching them interact with
their friends, if one did not know about their cataract, one would have
thought that they were sighted like the others.

Piggies do not have very good eyesight anyway so you need not worry about
Velvet's ability to cope. Their ears, noses and whiskers tell them all that
they need to know.

One thing to look out for is that early cataract formation can be a
precursor to diabetes, so bear that in mind. My Miss Piggy developed
cataracts as part of her diabetes.

Cataracts are usually bilateral i.e. a piggy with one cataract generally
goes on to develop a second. Don't panic!

Years ago, I had a piggy born here with partial cataracts in both eyes.
Rowan was a wonderful lap pig who never let his disability get in the way of
a good meal and lived here for 7 happy years.

Currently, Halloween has cataracts. He arrived here nearly 4 years ago with
the condition. It certainly does not hamper him in any way. He rattles the
front wire panel of the pen demanding food every time that I go into the pig
room, even before I have rustled the food bag.

It is always a good thing to get piggies used to taking meds from a syringe
but cataracts do not hurt and the metacam is not necessary for this
condition. Maybe Jacinta wants to make sure that she has the correct
diagnosis and that there is no injury to the eye.

Hope that all goes well.

Hugs for Velvet and Onyx.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.