[Gpdd] HEALTH: Doris Not Moving Around

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Jun 30 10:04:26 EDT 2010

Hi Pat,
Sorry my message is so late, I injured myself moving stuff around to much
this wheekend, nothing serious, just stiff sore muscles and bumps and
bruises from moving things to clean around and under them, plus I overworked
so much that my arthritic knees stiffened and I retained a lot of water in
my lower legs.  It made me realized at 64 maybe I have something in common
with Doris

In evaluating her situation it is always best to look at  her symptoms in
relation to recent changes in her diet, care, or meds. Also Any unusual
activity that may have made her sore, true in my case.

1. So using that method I would say that the change in medication is the
first most likely culprit and it could also account for the gurgling,
perhaps the new med is causing a change in her tummies digestion. If the
metacam was doing a good job controlling the pain from her arthritis. Also
note, while in general the smallest effective dose is the best, in the case
of anti-inflammation medications, usually a steady constant dosage is better
in keeping both pain and inflammation at a min level.

2. she may very well be developing a cataract or have a corneal ulcer, you
need a vet to put a drop of the dye on her eye for the ulcer to show up and
this should be done quickly i case she does have an ulcer we dont want it to
get worse or get infected.Remember velvets cataract seemed to come on
suddenly, but it ay be that out ability to perceive the growing opacity of
the eye may come on slowly but at a certain point become visible to us,
while it may have already impaired her eyesight. This part is a guess, but
she is certainly of an age where cataracts are very common.

Therefore a trip to the vet  is in order to check her eyes, and to double
check which arthritis/pain med she should be on, maybe the Rimadyl is a
better med for her but is not yet prescribed for an optimal  level that most
helps her. Perhaps the vet can give a test to see if there has been any
damage from the Metacam in case that is the best med for her. I might
propose a one shot dose of a opiate to test if it is pain slowing her down,
if it is the opiate should allow her to move around more freely, if she has
the doesn't increase movement its more likely her eyes. However this kind of
test needs to be carefully monitored by the vet because opiates slow down
the gut drastically in piggies and it can be dangerous. I would not give her
more than one dose at the smallest amount based on her weight the vet thinks
would be advisable.

As long as her tummy is gurgling I would give her simethicone and tummy rubs
(with her butt elevated is best) or a mild vibrator or massager to the tummy
area. We dont want the stomach problem to get worse. and simethicone and
massage are very benign  treatments, 4 times a day is fine.

Whee are also sorry your much beloved kitty has gone to the bridge after a
long and happy happy life. I hope the trip was easy and I'm sure the version
of the bridge is as wonderful for cats as the piggy section is for our
piggies
good luck let us know how the vet trip goes, Sandy and Sammy