[Gpdd] HEALTH: Oxbow Vit C

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 11:44:59 EST 2010

Hi Marsha,  First I talked to the customer service lady at Oxbow, as I too
never had a problem before the change, she said to not challenge the piggy,
just to leave it in his cage and that he would eventually eat it. I tried
and even changed to fresh ones every day, I tried cutting it in half, no
luck.  GP's learn what's safe to eat from their moms and their herd mates,
so when introducing a new food I usually eat it first in front of them and
then offer them some, within a few days they will eat it too, except only
one ever liked lemons (I thought it would be a great year round, cheap, low
sugar Vit C treat.)  Well this didn't work either with the new Vit C pills
(they really dont taste good)  so now I put it in his mouth just behind his
front teeth, and not too far back so he wouldn't choke, I do it while he is
in a regular eating position, and he eats it. If you place it just right it
will be too far back for him to work it out. I did it very casually so he
wouldn't see it as a challenge. I have never found a place that makes him
uncomfortable or makes him choke, but I still strive to put it just far
enough back so it doesn't come back, occasionally it does come back, I wait
a bit and do it again.  In the beginning I used a quarter of a pill as the
whole pills are larger than other mouthfuls they normally eat. Now he
accepts the pill with a resigned smile, although I think he does it to make
me happy as I get a bit of a piggy smirk afterwards, he still doesn't like
it

It turns out it I was lucky I was persistent as I looked down at my bag of
piggy food the other day as I was writing about pellets to someone, and I
discovered my half eaten bag was actually rabbit pellets, what a bonehead
mistake, I looked closer, it is practically identical to the piggy version
and has the same name, Timothy Complete by Katee,  "rabbit food" is in
smaller much darker lettering, of course the 2 bright faced creatures with
long ears are a dead giveaway but I missed it, I sooth myself that it was in
the usually place of the shelf, which is very low and easy to miss, but
without the supplement we would have been in big trouble. So I am very
thankful I persisted with the nasty supplement and winter Vit C veggies.
Sandy and Shipwreck Sam