[Gpdd] Health: Rescue

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Mar 31 08:41:01 EDT 2010

Dee and Joe,

What an incredibly lucky rescue for those little piggies. Our thanks go out
to that kind horserider who not only found them but gave a loving home to a
pair of them. How kind of you both to offer yourselves as fosterers if the
need arose.

People can be so callous when it comes to animals. Several Piggyfriends past
have been victims of abandonment, some having been left in a cardboard box
on a cold night outside our local rescue. They were discovered in the
morning by the first staff member to arrive but the box could easily have
collapsed due to overnight rain and the precious contents could have been
taken by a predator.

Last week someone tied two puppies to a bench in the grounds and beat a
hasty retreat. The grounds are large and the pups could have been there for
some time before being found, especially as some of the walks are out of
bounds at the moment due to ongoing building work. We must be glad that they
did actually bring them to the shelter but they could simply have brought
them into Reception where they could have been safely taken in with no
questions asked.

A large cardboard box was abandoned in the car park a while ago. Upon
investigation, it was found to contain a number of hens, who could have been
taken in straight away without the trauma of being piled into a box to await
someone leaving the car park to think to investigate.

Only the other day a man brought in two large plastic sacks containing, so
he said, " some things that might be able to be sold in the shop ". There is
a small shop where all sorts of donated items are sold to help the cause but
when they came to sort of the bags, the staff were horrified to find,
amongst other items, 40 goldfish in a plastic bag of water. A quick search
ensued to find a bath big enough to take all of these poor fish and,
miraculously, they all survived but those bags could have been left
overnight before being checked.

I hope that those lovely piggies now have proper homes, in which they are
loved as they deserve.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.