[Gpdd] GPDD (Misc.) (Mouse Friends)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Sat May 15 09:40:59 EDT 2010

Hi Pat and everyone and everypig,

I used to have pet mice.  The idea came from my son who had originally 5
female mice, 4 of which I ended up taking on (the 5th had died).  Then as
they departed I was so sad, I got two more...two girls that turned out to be
one girl.  They had 7 kids, 2 girls, 5 boys.  The boys started to fight and
the girls got along so they had their own cage, while  the boys (including
dad, Heeny), had their own cage each after trying to get them to co-habit
peacefully it did not work for me.  So I had 7 mouse cages. Cleaned one
every day of the Wheeek!
I had Li'l Guy at the time, my first piggie.  The mice loved him if I put
him up face to face with the girls, they kissed him.  probably not the best
idea, but it was ok...I mean, no one got sick as far as I know. Then other
times they resented him and tried to fight him away, through the cage
bars....so I don't know.  I buried all those mice.  I had adopted 3 more all
boys at different times.  Boy mice are smelly and very sweet natured
though.  Not as smart as rats, but they are extremely smart.  I wish there
was some way to give them birth control though.  Two mice together male and
female will produce a million mice in a year.  Girl mice go into estrus
every 4 days.  I hate glue traps or anything cruel like that.  i have live
mouse traps which mice have chewed their way out of.

My mouse stories are endless, so I will stop soon.  I love mice but they are
a lot of work.  They live about two years, the regular ones do.  i had to
have a few put to sleep.  Some had developed tumors.  I loved all my mice.
Heeny had a cage on my bed and he would go out and then return at his
leisure.  They also use one corner of their cage for a toilet.  I fed them
usually just bird seed and added treats like tiny peanut butter sandwiches
on tiny doll tea services  :)
It can sometimes get out of hand with mice.  People don't know how to care
for them well, that is, in my country.  I think in other places they are
better cared for as a whole.  Hurray for better caring!!!
Love,
Ellen and the 8 piggies and one bun