[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Ovarian cysts

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sat May 15 11:53:26 EDT 2010

Dear GPDD Family,
In my opinion there is never any reason to spay a piggy because she has
an ovarian cyst. If the cyst is very large it can be easily drained.
Most of the time that is all that needs to be done. If your piggy has a
tendency to develop large cyst then she can be treated with HCG. Ovarian
hormones have many functions other than reproduction. Just think about
the changes women's bodies go through after menopause. An
ovio-hysterectomy, spaying, is just like putting your piggy into a state
of post menopause. Ovarian Hormones are involved in maintaining healthy
skin, hair, bones and muscles just to name a few of their functions
other than reproduction. At most a piggy has 4 tablespoons of blood.
Spaying a guinea pig is far more complicated than spaying a dog or cat.
Vedra Stanley-Spatcher always taught me to first think of what is best
for the piggy. Spaying is not even an option. Do we remove the
reproductive organs of all women after they have had children including
removing their breasts just in case an organ could develop a disease? Do
we do an ovio-hysterectomy on a women who has an ovarian cysts? No!!! So
why do it to a guinea pig? They are not like many breeds of dogs that
are prone to pyometra.  Pyometra is very rare in guinea pigs. In the 26
years that I have been operating a guinea pig rescue I have never seen
one case of pyometra. Spaying guinea pigs in most cases in only in the
financial interest of the vet. Many of you know that I volunteer at a
vet's office and see on average 15 piggys/week. He will not spay a
guinea pig due to ovarian cysts.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.