[Gpdd] GPDD (Misc.) (Another Mouse Story)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Sun May 16 09:00:09 EDT 2010

Hi again,

(BTW I wonder if Algernon Rat is listening?)
I forgot to add a funny mouse story, I mean, kinda cute.

I had adopted a mouse I named Pila (Pee-la, no pun intended) which is a
Hawaiian name or at least a Hawaiian word, of which I have no idea the
definition.  I named him after a union steward we once had at work for the
local ILWU (International Longshoreman Workers' Union) who was NOT Hawaiian
(LOL).
Pila had been dropped off by someone who had claimed the mouse had given his
family a rash.  He was a shorthaired mouse.  I had him for about two years
like the rest.

Towards the end of his lifespan, he grew rather lethargic.  So I had him in
a smaller cage that had a mouse-sized manhole-type lid on the top for the
sipper bottle, except we had another nicer 'water hole' in the cage.  It was
a cage big enough for one mouse.
I put a makeshift top on the lid thinking Pila would never try to get out!
Well, I was wrong...

At the time we lived in a small room in a house with roommates.  I had a
lock on my bedroom door and also had a door leading to the outside.  So when
I was not home they (my three piggies, GinGin, Li'l Guy, and Rufie) and Pila
were safe and by themselves.  I had the pigs on the carpet in their cages,
and Pila was on the floor in his.  I came home one day and noticed Pila had
gotten out.
Guess where he was?
He had walked across part of the room, about 4 feet, and climbed into
GinGin's cage.  GinGin (aka Ginger) was thew only female of the bunch.  Pila
could have climbed into one of the boys' cages, but no.  He wanted to be
with Ginger.  He was just hanging out in her cage, on one end, and she on
the other, and she certainly did not seem to mind.

It was such a kick to see this little wirey mouse in the same cage with his
guinea pig girlfriend and mainly because he chose to be there!!

Needless to say, I decidedly put him in a safer cage.

~Ellen and piggies and bun, always with Li'l Guy, GinGin, Rufie, Cheyenie,
Mercy, Bunny Tawny, and all the mice--Sheenie, Heeny, Sweetie girl, Sweetie
boy, Pila, Primo, Sandy, Shanti, Bianca, Sassy, Phoebe, Katina, Bruno, and
three more I can't recall names of but do recall love of....always in our
hearts and at Rainbow Bridge :)