[Gpdd] HEALTH: Surprise

Dee and Joe joedee1986 at verizon.net
Tue May 25 14:12:10 EDT 2010

Life comes full circle.  In the midst of new deaths on the GPDD and Newsweek I announce that our foster pig Zoe is pregnant!

We found out for sure last night when Joe and I felt and saw movement in her belly.  She must have gotten pregnant right before we got her the end of March, beginning of April.  She and our other foster Lily were among a group of ten found dumped in a field in Hopkinton, MA.  There were males and females in the group.  No sign that Lily is with pig.

I only feel movement in one side so I think there is only one, maybe two pups.  She is in a cage that is 27 x 32 inches with Lily right now.    Should we take Lily out when Zoe has her babies or before or leave her in?  They have been living together since we have had them.  They do have tiffs once in a while but no biting, just chasing around.  We do have a bigger cage we can but Lily, Zoe and babies in if needed.

Many years ago our first GP Tribbles got pregnant by accident and had four pups.  So we do have some experience, but that was a long time ago.

I have read all my GP books and feel we can handle any emergency.  Tribbles delivered her pups with no problem.  We weren't home and missed the birth.  I hope Zoe will be more cooperative and have them when we are home. Peter Gurney's book mentions giving the mom to be bread soaked in milk.  Anyone do this?

Joe and I are so excited!  Baby GPs are the greatest!

Dee
Mom to Jodie (what, I'm going to be an aunt?) and foster mom to Lily, Zoe and ?
Save the earth - it is the only planet with chocolate!