[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge

staileys staileys at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 14:33:58 EST 2010

It is with a sad heart that I announce the passing of the last of the 4
Fluffernutters,  Sir Frodo the Vacant.  Sir Frodo came to us almost 7 years
ago as a "rescue" from Petsmart.  He was all by himself in a cage marked
"25% off" - His cage mate had been sold nearly 3 weeks earlier and he was
now estimated to be nearly 6 months old- far beyond the cute baby stage. My
heart went out to him and on a whim I asked if they would sell him at 50%
off, which they did.  I had no intention of adding to my herd, but I
couldn't pass him up.  He was the only pig I ever purchased. Shortly
thereafter  he was neutered and added to my cage of 2 females  (Pearl and
Samantha) and 1 male (Anakin).  Anakin passed away 2 months later (at 6+
yrs) and on that day was the only time I saw Frodo exert his "manliness" on
the females.  Several months later we rescued another female, Zoe, and right
from the start Zoe and Frodo were inseparable.  In 2006, they attended the
virtual wedding of Prince Biscuit and Princess Jasmine and I know Zoe had
her paws full keeping Frodo away from the food and focused on the wedding.
Frodo could always  be counted on to do just the opposite of what all the
other pigs were doing, thus his nickname "Sir Frodo the Vacant."  Pearl and
Samantha left for the Bridge in 2008 and then Zoe left last March. Even
before Zoe's passing, Frodo's health was beginning to fail.  His back legs
were immobile from arthritic disks in his back.  He suffered from bumble
foot in a front paw and recently that leg was stiffening, too.  And although
his appetite and poo output were always good, he was losing weight. His
quality of life was zilch.  It was a very difficult decision but one that
had to be made to help him over the Bridge.  He is with Zoe now running free
for the first time in a year.  His back is straight and he is strong once
again.  Thank you for being such a good pig Frodo.  I will miss you so much.

Laura Stailey -  remembering my 2 original Belgian pigs, Dodger and Anakin;
the 2 Loose Ladies of D.C., Pearl and Samantha; the Lovely little Zoe and,
now, Sir Frodo the Vacant