[Gpdd] HEALTH. UTI help for Velvet

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Nov 29 05:07:33 EST 2010

Hi Glynis,

I am sorry to read that Velvet has a suspected UTI.

I posted just the other day about UTI remedies for Mieke. At the risk of boring everyone else, I'll reprise the information.

I see that ME has already posted about the cranberry juice.

I start by using a ladies' cystitis remedy available here in England from the pharmacy over the counter. I keep the one called Cymalon in the piggy first aid box but there are several others. It is based on sodium citrate and comes in a box of sachets. The piggy dose is as follows. Open one sachet and divide the contents in half. Divide one half in half again and these two smaller amounts are for piggy. Dissolve one section ( which is now one quarter of your original sachet ) in about an eggcup full of water and during the course of one day syringe this into piggy a little at a time. On the second day use the next quarter in the same way. The opened sachet can be stored for the next time that it is needed.

Two days of this can be enough to clear up a cystitis attack.

If you have to use antibiotics, which, for me, are the last resort, the best one ( as recommended by my Rodentologists ) is children's Septrin. I know that meds in other countries often have different names so........it is labelled paediatric suspension on the box and is banana flavoured. It says co-trimoxazole on the box and says that each 5ml. contains trimethoprim 40mg and sulfamethoxazole 200mg.. The dose is 1ml. orally twice a day. 5 days is usually enough to clear it up but it can be given for longer without any adverse effect. Most children's meds seem to be good for piggies. Don't forget to follow it up with probiotics to put the good bugs back. I use acidophilus from the health food store ( third of a capsule in a little water every day for a few days ).

The other thing to try is home made barley water. The recipe is on Peter's page. As I said to Mieke, watch it carefully as the barley soaks up loads of water and can quickly boil dry and burn the pan.

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/cystitis.htm

Poor Velvet. She needs to be on top form for her wedding day!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.