[Gpdd] HEALTH: Panacur

e-mail cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 2 09:21:17 EDT 2010

Dear Ginger

I have heard that the usual thing to look for in a gp that is eating well
but still losing weight is worms, so if your Cuddles has never been treated
for that, and especially if he grazes outside, worming for any grazing
animal is important as there are lots of parasites in soil. The usual
treatment is Panacur, but I have not heard of a seven day course before.
Whenever I had mine treated at the Cambridge Cavy Trust by Vedra, it was a
small dose once every 6 months or so, but maybe your vet is telling you to
give such a small amount daily, that it equates to the same dose Vedra
gives?

It is possible your piggies have been eating one anothers poohs if they all
live together, so it would be adviseable for you to have them all treated
for worms with Panacur as a precautionary measure, especially if they graze
outside ot you bring fresh grass to them indoors. My udnerstanding is that
this is a pretty safe drug for gp's, as long as given at the correct dosage.

I would also suggest you keep a diary of Cuddles weight over the next few
months. Weigh him at the same time each day to see how much variation is
going on. Flat kitchen scales are great for this. See Guinea Lynx
http://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html If you see him steadily putting on
weight over the next month or so after the Panacur treatment, then I guess
it's fair to assume there was an internal parasite, but if he continues to
loose weight while still eating and drinking well, then something else may
be going on. See Gunea Lynx http://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html#weight

It is possible he has a teeth problem and you need a good vet for that --
one that will deal with cutting and filing teeth without using general
aneastheic. A dental problem is usually indicative of an underlying health
issue. Vedra has always told me that when she comes across a dental issue,
she takes a urine sample, as the bladder is the first place she investigates
(she will also of course do a dental). However, as you've said Cuddles is
eating and poohing well, this sounds unlikely, but you may want to watch how
he eats a few times to see just how much he truly is eating in a session and
whether or not food is not all being chewed and some spat out/falling out,
etc..

I know Sandy is not online to advise at present, and Penny is away, so I am
hoping perhaps Ann Evans may be able to post some advice for you to help as
well -- thank you in advance, Ann. Please let us know how Cuddles goes after
his Panacur treatment.

Kind regards

Carole