[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Gnawing

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 11 16:33:29 EDT 2010

The gnawing problem might just be a blessing in disguise; I'll bet their teeth are nicely trimmed with all that work they're doing.

I like to use cardboard tubes. They're inexpensive, highly chewable and disposable, and make nice hiding places. The best are from Quaker Oats (empty, of course), but there are some good ones at Petsmart and Petco. They can fit into a smaller tube than you think! You could even cut the bottom out of the tube if peeing is a problem. Bread knives (serrated) work best for cutting cardboard. An addition benefit of tubes is that a piggie can be herded into a tube for capture. Just be sure you cover the openings as you're carrying him or her!

Foster(s? I can't remember which) and Smith (catalogue and online) have wooden boxes without bottoms that Puff loves to chew. They're pretty sturdy and should last quite awhile.

As for the grocery cardboard boxes, it'd be best to avoid ones that might have insecticide residue. I hear bananas and bell peppers are particularly laden with chemicals. Wine boxes and dry goods' boxes would be ideal.

It also wouldn't hurt to check out The Busy Bunny, Bunny Bytes, and other bunny sites online for their products, which might be a bit sturdier.

Hope this helps!

Joanie