[Gpdd] Gpdd (Misc) (Vegetable-growing at home)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 22:52:25 EDT 2010

Hi Penny,
I enjoyed reading all the information that you provided to Mieke for a home
vegie garden.
I know vegie gardens are a lot of work.  I have some plants in pots on the
balcony (lanai) which I need to water with a hose.  It has been so very dry
and hot here, and the hose is in the front storage closet by the front door
so I have to drag it all the way throught hte apartment to reach the back
balcony.  Which is fine as long as the rabbit is in her playpen.  The poor
plants are doing ok but since i have been so crazy busy I have not been able
to water them as much as I want.
My mom and dad loved to garden and always had a garden from what I can
recall, no matter the season.  I don't really grow vegies since it is harder
in pots, but herbs are easy.  Occasionally a tomato will just sprout out on
it's own, as I recycle the rabbit and piggie bedding sometimes as mulch and
their droppings become manure for the garden.  There is a tomato plant there
now, but it seems hard to grow them in pots.
I have heard of those magical tomato and strawberry plants but have been
skeptical becasue I do not know if they are natural or Monsatto plants.
Also I did hear somewhere that cut grass is not good for piggies ---I cannot
remember for the life of me where I heard this, so I may be wrong.  Fresh
growing grass is better for them to dine on.
Thanks, Ellen