[Gpdd] HEALTH: grass clippings

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 17 16:29:14 EDT 2010

When a lawn (or pasture) is mowed, the clippings quickly ferment, which is why it's hazardous for horses, buns, chins and GP's. This isn't the same thing as going out, say, with some scissors and clipping choice blades, washing them, and immediately feeding them to your little friends. Again, you don't want to leave the leftovers; the moisture in them could lead to mold and decomposition/fermentation.

Vrie adored fresh grass, cut by hand, for most of her seven years. She died with her face pillowed in it. It was only after losing Hershey that I learned that there are germs shed by racoons and wild buns that can be lethal to GP's, and that simple washing won't kill some germs. So poor Puff gets no fresh grass:( It's a waste, as we live on irrigated acreage!

Joanie